Project -SRV/CS/03: Syrdarya Water Supply - Social Assessments for future Sewerage Project for future sewerage project
Syrdarya Regional Suvokova (SRVK) / International Development Association (IDA)
The Government of the Republic of Uzbekistan (GoU) has received credit from the International Development Association (IDA) to improve water supply in
5 districts of Syrdarya Region through the implementation of the Syrdarya Water Supply Project. A part of this credit will be applied in contracting Al
Mar Consulting to conduct a Social Assessment (SA) for future sewerage project in Gulistan, Yangier and Shirin cities.
The purpose of the SA is to assist the GoU in determining the social feasibility of the proposed sewerage investments as well as to ensure that the project
contributes to building ownership in the proposed sanitation improvements; contributes to poverty reduction; identifies any potential social issues, negative
impacts, or risks related to the project; identifies measures that may be needed to help mitigate those impacts or risks; establishes baseline data for
social monitoring and evaluation; and identifies measures that the provider of wastewater management services in each city could adopt to strengthen its
consumer orientation and thus improve its interactions with service users.
Description of actual services provided in the assignment
Specifically, Al Mar Consulting carried out the following tasks:
The qualitative field survey consisted of a number of components including focus group discussions, in-depth interviews with key informants and mini-case
- Identify Main Stakeholders and their Roles and Interests;
- Determine Stakeholders' opinion regarding Phase I of Project;
- Understand User Perceptions and Problems with Central Sewerage System;
- Determine Willingness to Pay for Sanitation Improvements;
- Characterize Relationships between the Suvokova, Customers, and other Stakeholders;
- Identify Appropriate Mechanisms for Improving Service Provider-Consumer Interactions and Maximizing the Benefits of the Proposed Investments;
- Propose Mechanisms and Indicators for Social Monitoring and Evaluation.
Al Mar Consulting carried out 6 focus group (FG) discussions, 2 in Gulistan, 2 in Yangier and 2 in Shirin and 300 citywide household surveys.
Al Mar Consultingundertook a detailed analysis of the results of the household survey and was responsible for coding the results of the survey, cleaning
the survey data, conducting statistical analysis, and providing a summary set of analytical tables plus copies of the clean data-set in SPSS or other