WB Project - RRDP/QCBS -2: Regional Road Development Project (RRDP) - Preparation of Environmental and Social Safeguard Documents for Andijan, Namangan
and Fergana regions
Republican Road Fund / World Bank
The Government of Uzbekistan intended to receive a loan from the World Bank in connection with Regional Roads Development Project. In addition, and in
order to help Republican Road Fund (the Recipient) to prepare the project, the World Bank has prepared an ECAPDEV Grant to further detail the economics,
technical, ecological and social documentation necessary to a successful preparation of the project.
The Recipient intends to use part of the ECAPDEV Grant to finance consulting services for preparation of mandatory documents related to environmental
and social safeguards policies of the World Bank. Al Mar Consulting was expected to carry out a detailed assessment of social and environmental aspects
of the project, preparing and coordinating with the World Bank final project documentation on safeguards in order to minimize negative impact and design
mitigation measures on local population, environment of the project area, and on physical cultural resources.
Description of actual services provided in the assignment
Al Mar Consulting carried out an Environmental Assessment (EA) to identify and address key environmental issues and potential environmental risks associated
with the project, assessed stakeholder interests and their likely effect on the proposed operation, evaluated potential environmental impacts and identify
desirable outcomes. The EA was consistent with the procedures for conducting the Environmental Assessment and in conformity with the clearance requirements
of the Government of Uzbekistan and the World Bank Operational Policies 4.01 on Environmental Assessment.
As part of the Environmental Assessment process Al Mar Consulting shall:
- Prepare inventory of the trees / groups of trees, including orchards, to be cut for construction and a plan for tree plantation plan;
- Prepare inventory of buildings, roads and other infrastructure that have the potential to be affected by the project activities;
- Assess socioeconomic impacts of the project including the possible need for land acquisition and displacement of farms, households, or enterprises;
- Prepare Environmental Management Plan (EMP);
- Help carrying out public consultations and disclosure of the EIA, according to the requirements of the World Bank guidelines, including registration and
coordination of protocols of meetings, public hearings etc.